Far too many Americans are unhealthy and food is the main culprit. Exercising and getting enough sleep is essential, but you and your family need to focus on improving your diet, as well. That’s where the Mediterranean diet comes into play.
A well balanced, Mediterranean style diet may even improve your sleep quality and give you the energy to get out and exercise more, anyway! Who doesn’t want to be more awake and have more energy to spend time with the ones they love?
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes healthy fats, lots of vegetables, and whole grains. It’s a high fiber diet where most of the protein is plant based. While it isn’t completely vegetarian, the Mediterranean diet tends to place an emphasis on poultry over red meat. And, sugary drinks like soft drinks are not encouraged!
Instead of eating fast food and pizza all the time, consider mixing in some Mediterranean salads and entrees and eat at some quality, Houston area Mediterranean restaurants. Houston is well known for its vibrant food scene, and there is absolutely a Mediterranean restaurant for everyone!
Whether you’re enjoying these tasty dishes at quality restaurants or just inside your own home, you’re going to love these healthy and delicious meals.
Incredible Health Benefits of Eating the Mediterranean Diet
- Protection from diabetes — The Mediterranean diet can help protect people from type 2 diabetes and improve glycemic control. Mediterranean foods are rich in monounsaturated fats and high in fiber. So eat some more fruits, veggies, fish, and police oil to help lower your blood pressure, monitor your cholesterol, and prevent diabetes.
- Improved agility as you grow older — Thanks to all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are found within Mediterranean foods, you’ll benefit from a reduced risk of developing muscle weakness and other issues associated with aging.
- Reduced risk of dementia — Though your physical health is imperative as you grow older, so is your mental health. Recent studies show that older adults who incorporate Mediterranean foods into their diet significantly reduces their risk of dementia. In a group of 923 seniors, those who followed the diet strictly lowered their risk of dementia by 53%, while those who followed the diet moderately only decreased their risk by 35%.
- Encourages healthy weight loss — The Mediterranean diet is great for not only eating healthier, but losing weight, as well. Plenty of diets are extremely strict; but the Mediterranean diet allows you to say most of your favorite foods. Be sure to incorporate plenty of regular physical exercise and limit your portions, but you’ll quickly see results.
- Improved cardiovascular health — Your heart is the most important muscle in your body! Keep it ticking with healthy foods that won’t gum up your arteries.
- Lowers risk of stroke — In addition to protecting the cardiovascular system as a whole, the Mediterranean diet may lower a woman’s risk of stroke! Not only did a recent study show a reduced incidence of stroke, it also showed a reduced severity for patients who suffered that health event.
- Decreases risk of depression — Full belly, happy life! Eating a delicious Mediterranean diet may also reduce depression! While scientists are still unsure what aspect of the Mediterranean diet confers this lowered risk, they do know that what you eat can have a huge impact on how you feel!
Enough with the fast food, pizza, and other unhealthy snacks — it’s time to start eating right. If you and your family are ready to head to some terrific Mediterranean restaurants, check out Aladdin Houston and enjoy! Or, if you’re too busy with all your newfound energy, try placing an order online and picking up in the store!