The Mediterranean diet is an extremely popular diet that consists of foods from all over the world, especially these three countries: Spain, Greece, and Italy. There are so many foods and ingredients that go into this diet, allowing people to thoroughly enjoy all kinds of eccentric and delicious meals.
Whether you’re heading to Mediterranean restaurants or preparing a falafel from the comfort of your own home, if you’re curious about the Mediterranean diet, you should be aware of what foods and ingredients are involved. Here are some of the best foods from the Mediterranean diet:
- Chickpeas and hummus — Perhaps one of the most recognizable foods pertaining to the Mediterranean diet, chickpeas can be easily paired with all kinds of other delicious snacks. If eaten daily and paired with various grains and starches, chickpeas can provide plenty of dietary benefits, as well, providing protein, calcium, iron, zinc, and folate.
- Almonds — Research has shown that eating almonds before working out can help you shed unwanted pounds a lot faster. Almonds are not only great for losing weight but can also be used as a nut butter to construct all kinds of other tasty dishes.
- Ezekiel bread — Ezekiel bread is a sprouted ancient grain bread made with no sugar. At certain Mediterranean restaurants, you can order either Ezekiel bread classic sliced or tortilla wraps.
- Broccoli Rabe — Though it might seem like an Italian dish, broccoli rabe is a big part of the Mediterranean diet. Broccoli rabe provides plenty of vitamin C, potassium, calcium, fiber, and even cancer-fighting isothiocyanates and indoles.
- Greek pasta bake — This is an entire Mediterranean dish that is terrific for potlucks and big family meals. All the ingredients for this contest-winning pasta mean are easy to find and can result in a simple, healthy, and hearty dish.
There are so many more foods that you can enjoy if you’re adhering to the Mediterranean diet, including eggplant, lemons, peppers, shrimp, quinoa, skyr, and so much more. If you want to learn more about any of these delicious meals or enjoy some of the best Mediterranean food Houston has to offer, check out some amazing Mediterranean restaurants — head down to Aladdin Houston right away!